|Level (Complexity):||Not so easy (4)|
|Object:||Disassembling and reassembling|
|Number of components:||2|
|Estimated time:||1-2 Hours|
|Size:||1.4 in/ 3.6 cm Cube. The ring is 2 in / 5 cm in diameter|
|Packaging:||cardboard + plastic box: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||Cast Zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
|Where to Buy:||Check Prices for Hanayama Cast Box|
The box itself is actually not as aesthetically pleasing as other Hanayamas. I think it is because the choice of the materials here is different. Most of the Hanayamas are glossy, flashy silver or golden where the “box” of Cast Box is of matte brass color for some reason.
In any case it was not a dealbreaker for me as it still looks amazing together with other Hanayamas and even stands out.
The box is hollowed out with several notches on the inside of the ribs. There is a “START” marker on of the sides to make sure you know where to begin.
The ring itself is a glossy silver and has a small gap, but not as big to just remove the ring from the box. You will also notch that one end of the ring has a slightly smaller notch. That will help with the solution immensely.
Honestly, Cast Box is clearly not Level 2 (Beginner puzzle), but that’s why we love those seemingly easy puzzles. They always have a cool trick that we are not aware of, and usually we are pleasantly surprised by the little challenge these puzzles may pose.
I think the reason why it is exactly a level 2 is because you don’t have to think too much “outside the box” (get it? :D). There is only one major trick that you will probably understand immediately. You just need to follow the puzzle’s hints as those will guide to the completion.
There are a few surprises, but not something that you will be thinking about for weeks. Also, the pattern is quite clear, so re-doing the puzzle and assembling it back is not as hard as with level 3s or level 5s.
In any case, the puzzle is very well-balanced. I would ask Hanayama to do a special edition “metallic” version of it, just for me, but that’s something very subjective.
If you are looking for a fair and not overly frustrating challenge, if you are just beginning your way with Hanayama — I think it’s a great puzzle to start with.
Where to Buy
- Let’s assume that you are holding the puzzle and the “START” side is facing you.
- Just move the ring through the notches to the right side of the cube.
- Then, make sure to slide the ring upwards and get it latched on 2 sides at the same time (right lower, and right higher one).
- From that point you will be able to rotate the whole ring to the left side of the cube.
- Disconnect the ring from the lower side and then get the ring out completely using the double notch at the left upper rib.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Box puzzle solution video can be found below
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.