About HANAYAMA and Brand History
Hanayama Co. LTD is a game manufacturing company that dates back to 1930s.
Started off as a manufacturer of traditional games, indoor pursuits and other board games.
The company rose from the “Hanayama Game Laboratory”, a shop which was founded in 1933 by Naoyasu Hanayama in Tokyo.
The shop was selling board games.
It was renamed to “Hanayama Shoten” in 1952, and released Japan’s first board game “Bunkers” in 1953.
The company is most famous for it’s cast metal puzzles called Huzzle that focus on the purposeful separation of the individual pieces. The Huzzle line up was started in mid 80s.
Since then the company accumulated a lot of prominent puzzle makers to create cast puzzles for the brand such as Akio Yamamoto, Oskar Van Deventer, Kyoo Wong, Vesa Timonen, Nobuyuki Yoshigahara and many more.
Hanayama has their own rating from puzzle complexity:
- Level 1 — Fun (white packaging)
- Level 2 — Easy (yellow packaging)
- Level 3 — Medium (green packaging)
- Level 4 — Hard (blue packaging)
- Level 5 — Expert (black packaging)
- Level 6 — Grand Master (black packaging same as Level 5)
Please find the PuzzleScore reviews for HANAYAMA puzzles below:
HANAYAMA Assembly and Solutions Tips
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
If you need specific instruction or assembly video you can find it in detailed review of each model below.
HANAYAMA puzzles FAQ
Is Grandmaster (Level 6) is the highest?
By Hanayama standards — yes, but among around 10 level 6 Hanayama puzzles there are the ones who can be a bit harder than another ones. As it is all quite subjective — the level 6 puzzle still are quite complex and will require a lot of time and logical thinking to be conquered.
Where are the models made?
The models are manufactured in China and the company itself is located in Japan.
Do I need to use some additional tools?
No, only your hands and an endless reserve of patience.
Are there any useful tips?
You can find the assembly tips at the end of every review. Those are puzzle type or brand-specific. We have accumulated all the specifics there.
Can children assemble Hanayama Puzzles?
Depends on the level, of course. Level 1-2 can be considered more “fun” than challenging and can be solved by kids. Other levels are more suitable for teenagers and beyond.