|Level (Complexity):||Hard (9)|
|Object:||Take apart and then reassemble|
|Number of components:||4|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours|
|Size:||2 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 in / 5 x 3.2 x 3.2 cm|
|Packaging:||cardboard: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
Is it a string quartet, you will ask. I will say — no, it’s pure metal. Cast Quartet by Hanayama is a Level 6 “Grandmaster” puzzle that packs a punch.
Consisting of 4 pieces it poses a great challenge even for experienced puzzlers. Though, a lot of puzzlers may find the disassembly not very hard — the assembly is really hardcore.
The puzzle is executed in a shiny polished cast metal and has a very good touch. The parts come apart easily, so it is advised to not apply a lot of force to it. It is quite possible to lock the puzzle by pushing parts to hard or even breaking it.
There are multiple different ways to solve the puzzle, but what’s more important is that you the reassembly can be completely different. That way, basically, you get 2-in-1 puzzle in your hands.
There are (well, at least) 3 stages that you will need to go through on your way to complete solution with every stage consisting of 3-5 complex and multi-directional moves.
The beauty of this puzzle is that you will have to move 2-3 pieces at the same time, at the right direction and on the proper angle to make it work. Did I say it was hard? Well, it is.
This puzzle is made by Mineyuki Uematsu, the same guy who made Cast Hexagon and already proved that complex and multi-layered puzzles are his thing.
Definitely worth trying to wrap your head around this one – just make sure not to get to frustrated, it requires a lot of patience and thinking.
Interesting piece with a great symmetrical touch.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Quartet puzzle solution video can be found below
- Made of high quality cast iron
- Considered to be the highest “Grand master” (Level 6) puzzle according to Hanayama scoring. Other Level 6 puzzles, such as Cast Rotor and Cast Infinity, can be found at their respective pages on PuzzleScore Hanayama brand page.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!