|Level (Complexity):||Complex (8)|
|Object:||Take apart and then reassemble|
|Number of components:||2|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours|
|Size:||3⅛×2⅝×1⅜ in. / 5.3×5.1 cm|
|Packaging:||cardboard: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
Rotor is a puzzle made by prominent Hanayama puzzle maker Kyoo Wong. He has created a lot of different pieces for Hanayama such as Trinity and U&U, but Rotor is the latest addition in Hanayama’s roster and was released in September 2019.
Rotor consists of two identical ornament-like pieces intertwined with each other. The main objective is to separate the two pieces.
But first of all, in this particular part of the review, we’d like to stress how stunningly beautiful it is designed. The perfect union of polished metal pieces that shines with gold and silver is visually perfect and gives of that aesthetic feeling that is many puzzles lack.
The shape of the both pieces are also greatly done with all the details in place and looking naturally — that actually makes the puzzle easier to understand and at the same time the amount of small notches and etches is great so you definitely won’t be bored.
It might look like a piece of cake, but bear in mind that Rotor is a Grand master level puzzle. Being the highest level by Hanayama’s standards — it is definitely not an easy one. And it shows! The amount of details: different dimples, notches, convexes — all this will have to be taken into account when trying to solve the puzzle.
Usually, I would say that the reassembly of Hanayama’s puzzles is much more difficult than the disassembly, but not in this case. Rotor is perfectly balanced on both ends of the process. It is as hard to separate the 2 pieces as it challenging to put them back together.
Great looking, ideal in complexity puzzle that will definitely bend your mind for a few hours.
Suitable for experienced puzzlers only as it requires a lot of attention and some kind of experiencing in solving similar puzzles.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Rotor puzzle solution video can be found below
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!