|Level (Complexity):||Extreme (10)|
|Object:||Take apart and then reassemble|
|Number of components:||4|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours|
|Size:||3 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 in / 7.6 x 3.9 x 3.9 cm|
|Packaging:||cardboard: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
Oh, Cast Hourglass! If you thought other Level 6 puzzles such as Vortex or Enigma were difficult — you will definitely find this 4-piece beast a challenge. Hourglass definitely outs most other Hanayama puzzles to shame in terms of difficulty and complexity. It is a true epitome of puzzler’s dream.
It is executed in great matte metal. The piece resembles the Hourglass model, hence it’s name.
The design itself is solid, mathematically calibrated, even, with parts and the model as a whole being symmetrically executed and that gives the piece a superb aesthetic feel.
The model will take hours to take apart. Due to the number of pieces (4) it will take many moves and backtracking to progress.
I have counted 4 principal stages of disassemble progress with every stage counting 5-10 moves. To figure all of them out one will need a lot f patience and a great deal of logical thinking.
Although the assembled model is quite solid — 4 parts separately are not so it is very important not to apply too much force in case you get stuck — there are reports of people breaking this puzzle.
Certainly a champion of Hanayama puzzles, the last boss or the ultimate challenge, the Excalibur. But, to be completely honest, I do no want to be overly dramatic with this — the puzzle is really great and Jin Hoo Ahn proved to be one of the most prominent puzzle makers of our time.
Even if you think it might be to hard for you — it must be your duty to try it out to see if you are the one who can defeat it.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Hourglass puzzle solution video can be found below
- Made of high quality cast iron
- Considered to be the highest “Grand master” (Level 6) puzzle according to Hanayama scoring. Other Level 6 puzzles, such as Cast Vortex and Cast Infinity, can be found at their respective pages on PuzzleScore Hanayama brand page.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!