|Level (Complexity):||Complex (7)|
|Object:||Take apart and then reassemble|
|Number of components:||6|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours|
|Size:||4.8 x 4.8 x 2.7 cm / 1.9 x 1.9 x 1.1 in|
|Packaging:||cardboard + plastic box: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
|Where to Buy:||Check prices for Hanayama Cast UFO|
Cast UFO is another latest addition to Hanayama. It was invented by Finnish designer Vesa Timonen, the author of such masterpieces as Cast Infinity (Level 6) and simple, but ingenious Cast Ring (Level 1). Master Timonen specializes in puzzles with simple design that mislead you into thinking that the solution is simple.
Interestingly, UFO is a “spin-off” of another Vesa’s “onion” puzzle that he submitted for the 2009 IPP Design Competition. Vesa has created several “food” themed puzzles — another one being “Tangerine” that was serialised by Hanayama as “Globe Ball” and “onion” later become the Cast UFO we all know.
Indeed, the puzzle looks very smooth: the saucer-like shell consists of two parts symmetrically interconnected with each other in the middle and an orb in the center that is embedded in the center of the saucer.
The saucer part has a very nice touch and dark metallic gloss while the orb is shiny and polished. This creates a great contrast and amazing look.
The puzzle itself is very cool. Really, I would describe it as a spherical Rubik’s Cube (paradoxical, right?) that you have to solve almost by touch.
The main idea is to get the 4-part sphere out of the saucer part — but how can you even do that? Despite it is a Level 4 puzzle that must be significantly easier then, say, Infinity, but the actual process of solving that puzzle can be very difficult.
The puzzle can be solved in one stage, but it can take you a lot of time to find the right moves and get how the mechanism works, but once you get it can be quite rewarding.
The solution is out there 😉
Great puzzle that is slightly harder than standard Level 4s from Hanayama. Might not be a good idea to start from it if you are moving on from level 3, but if you’d like to practice before level 5 — that puzzle is perfect.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast UFO puzzle solution video can be found below
- Made of high quality cast zinc
- Considered to be the highest “Hard” (Level 4) puzzle according to Hanayama scoring. Other Level 6 puzzles can be found at their respective pages on PuzzleScore Hanayama brand page.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!