|Level (Complexity):||Advanced (6)|
|Type:||Metal Puzzle / Metal Puzzle Lock|
|Object:||Take apart and then reassemble|
|Number of components:||4|
|Estimated time:||Estimated time: 1-2 Hours|
|Size:||4.3 x 3.3 x 2.3 cm / 1.7 x 1.3 x 0.9 in|
|Packaging:||cardboard + plastic box (black): 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
Cast Padlock by Hanayama is exactly what you’d want your average puzzle look like. It’s a padlock that you need to unlock and if you think it is as easy as that — you’d be very wrong. Channeling your inner Arsene Lupin will not be remotely enough. The mechanism of the puzzle requires a good deal of spatial awareness and imagination to resolve.
The puzzle itself consists of 4 pieces: pads at the front and at the back that are identical and 2 lock pieces in the middle.
Safe to say, the 2 lock pieces are the juice of the puzzle as it is puzzle’s main part of the solution itself.
The Padlock itself looks a bit dull. I could use a bit more shine to it. The matte feel just doesn’t really cut it for me, but alas, that is quite subjective. Also, the puzzle itself just screams to be bigger — I am not sure whether it will affect the actual mechanism — I think not — but I’d pay double for the XL version of that.
As with the similar puzzles— it is very important to realize that you will need to “see” through the metal and imagine how the mechanism inside looks like to actually solve it. Imagining that correctly give that great feel of achievement that we all like in solving puzzles.
The inner mechanism is well-put and will not require a lot of time to unlock if you are an experienced puzzler. Just note that it is still a level 5 “Expert” puzzle by Hanayama ranks — so it will not go down easily.
All in all, Padlock is a very cool puzzle to spent your evening on. Despite being level 5 by Hanayama rankings it is definitely easier that some other of the same rank, e.g. Marble or Spiral so do not hesitate to try it out even if you are new to the topic.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — but not in this case. The reassembly is pretty straightforward. Nevertheless, the reassembly will give you a bigger picture on how the interior mechanism if the puzzle operates.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Padlock puzzle solution video can be found below
- Made of high quality cast iron
- Considered to be “Expert” (Level 5) puzzle according to Hanayama scoring. Other Level 5 puzzles, such as Cast H&H and Cast Helix, can be found at their respective pages on PuzzleScore Hanayama brand page.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!