|Level (Complexity):||Complex (9)|
|Object:||Disassembling and reassembling|
|Number of components:||2|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours|
|Size:||3.5×1.75×0.75 in / 9×4.6×1.9 cm|
|Packaging:||cardboard: 75×119×45 mm|
|Materials used:||cast zinc|
|Safety:||no small parts, but keeping away from small children is advised|
Cast Devil was launched in 1994, but the origin of this puzzle dates back to the beginning of 20th Century when the so-called “Puzzle Boom” happened. One of the many results of that “boom” was a creation of “Devil Claws” puzzle.
Nob Yoshihara, one of the most prominent puzzle makers in the world (he has a puzzle making competition named after him, after all) took the idea of the ancient puzzle and reworked it for Hanayama thus creating Cast Devil.
I have to say it looks super easy, and I was genuinely surprised that it was a Level-5 “Expert” puzzle and not some kind of level 1-2.
The material (cast zinc) and the quality of the puzzle itself is second to none, as always with most Hanayama pieces.
The moment you take this puzzle in your hands — you will immediately realize that it’s not that entirely simple. The thing with these devil claws is that it is super easy to get it tangled beyond belief and get lost untangling them.
Many people, who had this puzzle said that they actually gave up and used sheer force to disassemble the pieces. I do not recommend doing that as it will take the rewarding feeling from the process. Plus, obviously, you won’t be able to assemble it back again — and this is a must to fully conquer any Hanayama Puzzle.
Anyway, the puzzle has a very neat and cool trick, but to pull it off the two pieces must be in a certain position.
Where to Buy
- It is very important to be as consistent and methodological with this kind of puzzles.
- Try to document all your steps — write down what you before or after you progress further.
- The reassembly is usually much harder — in case of Cast Devil it much simpler as there are only 2 parts. You just need to carefully remember the moves you did before the assembly.
- Hanayama Huzzle Cast Devil puzzle solution video can be found below
- Made of high quality cast iron
- Considered to be “Expert” (Level 5) puzzle according to Hanayama scoring. Other Level 5 puzzles, such as Cast H&H and Cast Helix, can be found at their respective pages on PuzzleScore Hanayama brand page.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Hanayama puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!