|Name:||Egg Puzzle Box|
|Brand:||Karakuri Creation Group|
|Level (Complexity):||Easy (3)|
|Type:||Wooden Puzzles / Wooden Puzzle Boxes|
|Object:||Open the egg|
|Estimated time:||Up to 30 minutes|
|Number of parts:||3|
|Size:||8.5×6 cm / 3.3×2.3 in.|
|Packaging:||Pressboard Gift Box|
|Materials used:||Cherry wood|
Karakuri boxes come in various shapes and form. In fact, shapes and forms vary so much that it’s not really reasonable to refer to these types of puzzles as “boxes” anymore.
Here, we have something that almost certainly not a “box” in any way.
Karakuri Egg is one of the amazing trinkets and unusual karakuri puzzles manufactured by famous Karakuri Creation Group in Japan.
These guys know what they are doing and usually create something absolutely unique, ingenious and simple as that.
First of all, the quality of the egg is amazing and flawless. Some could assume that the model is very pricey for being a “wooden egg”, but the moment you take it in your hand — you will understand where the money went.
The fragrant, peerless wood is super smooth. The small「安」sign in the middle is an amazing, yet minimalistic example of how Japanese can do it right with the minimum amount of details.
The egg itself has a very simple mechanism inside, but bear in mind that if you have never stumbled upon Karakuri boxes before — it might not be so simple to understand what to do to open it.
In any case, you will spend from 10 to 30 minutes figuring out the trick and when you do — you will be pleasantly surprised.
More to that, you will find a tiny little surprise inside the egg. You can find out what is that exactly below in “Tips and tricks”.
I have to say — I was a bit skeptical about it at first glance, but somehow fell in love with that Karakuri the moment I saw it for real.
Both the trick and the quality of woodwork is second to none. If you know someone who is collecting such kinds of trinkets — it is will be the perfect gift.
Where to buy
Tips and Tricks
- The “安” is actually the key for solving this puzzle. The egg is locked by 2 perpendicular shafts that connect two parts of the egg.
- Take the egg so the “安” sign is facing outwards.
- Smack the egg against your other palm a few times.
- That will make the shafts retract in the notches and open the egg.
- Karakuri Egg Puzzle Box Video solution can be found below
- The “安” on the egg actually means “Safe” or “Secure” in Chinese/Japanese.
- There is a wooden bird hidden inside.
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Karakuri Creation Group puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Our main goal is to create a platform where people around the world will be able to find, share, read, score different puzzles, showcase their collections, and uncover amazing stories about great puzzle engineers.
We truly hope that our deeds will help to further popularize intellectual activities and more and more people will become avid puzzlers!