|Name:||Revenge Lock aka “The Wanderer”|
|Level (Complexity):||Insane (10)|
|Type:||Metal Puzzle / Metal Puzzle Locks|
|Object:||Take apart; assemble back (optional)|
|Estimated time:||1-10 Hours, possibly more|
|Number of parts:||8|
|Materials used:||anodized aluminum|
|Safety:||Small parts, choking hazard|
|Where to Buy:||Check prices for Wil Strijbos Revenge Lock or “The Wanderer”|
Revenge Lock or “The Wanderer” is possible the most mysterious and excruciatingly complex puzzle in the whole line up made by Wil Stribos.
It looks alike a usual barn lock, that is embedded inside a still frame. There are a lot of small details on the frame and on the lock itself, such as:
- The Wil Strijbis Signature;
- Additional markings;
- Three holes in front;
- Three notches for the hex key on the side
The puzzle is made of nice looking anodized aluminum metal and is of a great size that fits right into your palm.
Inside the box, you will find the list of tasks that you need to perform. Let’s call it a “manual” for the solver. It goes as follows:
Goal First (Take Apart):
- Discover your number;
- Open the shackle;
- Remove the Brass Key;
- Find the Tiny Wanderer.
Goal second (assemble back):
- Replace the wanderer
- Brass Key & Shackle
- Put the lock back in frame
- Pu the lock into the frame
So you may think that these instructions are quite vague and I will have to agree with you. Because of that, many still think that there are some hidden compartments in the puzzle that nobody could find so far.
In fact the puzzle is quite straightforward in its solution, the hardest part being a mechanism that stays hidden even after the solution so there is no way to understand if you are doing everything right for sure.
That is also the main beauty of the puzzle — no matter how hard you try, it will still keep the most sacred part of it a mystery
Great puzzle that still spawns a lot of discussion on many forums and resources worldwide. Some people even promised to cut it open and send picture but eventually no one every did that (understandable, considering the price).
Great complexity and will definitely be more suitable for experience puzzlers.
Where to buy
Drawing made by our fan Nicholas Chapman: “That is what I believe the internals to look like. The holes on the left side of the puzzle are blocked by screws and were required in order to drill the holes that hold the pins.”
- “Discover the Number” part is somewhat vague. It seems there is no correlation between the “secret number” found on the back of the lock and the actual solution.
- “Replace the wanderer” actually means to put the wanderer back into the brass key. The whole “Second Part” instruction is confusing, but it is actually just a manual for assembling the lock back into the frame.
- Wil Strijbos Revenge Lock or “The Wanderer” solution video can be found below
- Made of anodized aluminum
- Detailed answers on Frequently Asked Questions about Wil Strijbos puzzles you can find here.
- If you still have questions, ask them in the comments. We will answer in detail and include them in the FAQ list.
Become a member of our community and get access to a lot of exclusive patreon-only benefits, coupon codes, giveaways and help us create more awesome and mind-blowing content such as “How It’s Made”, interviews with prominent puzzle makers, unique puzzles and more!